Mary Hatto was born on 16 September 1867, in Bucklebury, Berkshire, the oldest daughter of Joseph and Anne Hatto. She is listed on the 1871 census living with her parents and two siblings in Beenham, a Berkshire village near to Bucklebury; she was still there in 1881. In 1901 she was still living with her parents in Beenham, and described as a domestic cook. Shortly afterwards she moved to West End, Hampshire to work as a cook for a Miss Keymer at West End Lodge.
This must be how Mary met James Edward Moody who she married on 15 November 1902 at St James's church, West End. James had just been discharged from the army and took a job as the local postman. They lived in "a little cottage in the High Street," West End, where their oldest son Leslie was born. Shortly after they moved to 6 Park Villas, Upper New Road, where their four younger children were born, and where they can be found on 1911 census. James died suddenly at home on 1 April 1921 from pneumonia, aged 58, and Mary died on 12 February 1952, aged 84.
- Leslie James Moody (1903–1983). Married Janet Elsie Porteous (1900–1987).
- Gwendoline Mary Moody (1905–1972). Married Lionel Vane "John" Smith (1903–1980).
- Robert Percival Moody (1906–2004). Married Betty Goodwin (1916–2008).
- Doris Kathleen Moody (1908–2006). Married Francis James Bartlett (1909–1978).
- Phyllis Edith Moody (1909–2000). Married Sidney Thomas Browning (1893–1972).
- ↑ Birth certificate for Mary Hatto, born 16 Sept 1867, in the sub-district of Bucklebury in the counties of Berks & Oxon. Copy dated 3 Dec 1982 held by Richard Smith.
- ↑ The National Archives. 1871 census for South Stoneham, Hampshire, England (RG10/1276), fol 37, p 8. Joseph Hatto's household. Digital images on Ancestry.com.
- ↑ The National Archives. 1881 census for Beenham, Berkshire, England (RG11/1298), fol 23, p 12. Joseph Hatto's household. Digital images on Ancestry.com.
- ↑ The National Archives. 1901 census for Beenham, Berkshire, England (RG13/1141), fol 157, p 9. Joseph Hatto's household. Digital images on Ancestry.com.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Moody, Bob. I remember, I remember (autobiography), pp 5–7 & 56. West End Parish Council, circa 1994.
- ↑ Marriage certificate for James Edward Moody and Mary Hatto, 15 Nov 1902, at St James, West End, Hampshire. Photocopy of original held by Richard Smith.
- ↑ The National Archives : General Register Office. 1939 register for district EEYL, Winchester, Hampshire, England (RG101/2411C), p 16. Digital images on FindMyPast.
- ↑ The National Archives. 1911 census for West End, Hampshire, England (RG14/6053), sched 74. Digital images on Ancestry.com.