Susan Barfoot was born on 25 December 1866, in Hedge End, Hampshire, the fourth child of John and Jane Barfoot. Her family lived in Hedge End where her father was a gardener, and Susan appears on the 1871, and 1881 censuses with them. She went into service with the Bessemer family of Mount House, Hythe, Hampshire, and it was working there in 1883 that she met Henry Thomas Banks, a sailor from Hythe who had worked on Bessemer family ships. They were married at Hedge End parish church on 1 August 1890.
After their marriage they lodged on Hythe High Street with Henry's maternal grandmother, Hester Smith, and this is where their oldest son John was born. By 1901 they had moved to 1 Prospect Place, Hythe, and towards the end of the decade they moved down the road to 4 Prospect Place, where they are found on the 1911 census, together with all eight of their children. Henry died on 28 September 1952, aged 85, only three months after his retirement from the Hythe Ferry, and Susan died on 26 July 1957, aged 90, leaving an estate valued at £2347 1s 11d.
- John Martin Banks (1890–1971). Married Violet Ethel "Queenie" Wilmott (1890–1970).
- Elsie Winifred Banks (1897–1978). Married Harold Arthur Beels (1892–1953).
- Mabel Louise Banks (1899–1979). Married Stephen Biggs (1892–1973).
- Bessie Banks (1900–1957).
- Henry Samuel Banks (1902–2003). Married Jessie Dorothy Green (1901–1958).
- Susan Evelyn Banks (1904–1990). Married Thomas "Paddy" Glenn (1902–1988).
- Arthur Thomas Banks (1905–2002). Married Constance Frances Scheu (1914–1978).
- Hilda May Banks (1909–2010). Married Samuel Crosbie (1904–2001).
- ↑ Banks, Arthur. Transcript of Banks family bible, circa 1995. Privately held by Richard Smith. (The bible was last known to be in the possession of Susan's son Harry.)
- ↑ The National Archives. 1871 census for Botley, Hampshire, England (RG10/1197), fol 15, p 4. Henry Martin Banks's household. Digital images on Ancestry.com.
- ↑ The National Archives. 1881 census for Botley, Hampshire, England (RG11/1218), fol 28, p 25. John Barfoot's household. Digital images on Ancestry.com.
- ↑ Unknown newspaper clipping, "Hythe Diamond Wedding — Nearly sixty years with Ferry Co.", August 1950. Copy held by Richard Smith.
- ↑ Marriage certificate of Henry Thomas Banks and Susan Barfoot, 1 Aug 1890, at the parish church of Hedge End, Hampshire. Original held by Richard Smith.
- ↑ The National Archives. 1891 census for Fawley, Hampshire, England (RG12/911), fol 9, p 12. Hester Smith's household. Digital images on Ancestry.com.
- ↑ The National Archives. 1901 census for Fawley, Hampshire, England (RG13/1051), fol 6, p 4. Henry T Banks's household. Digital images on Ancestry.com.
- ↑ Information provided to Richard Smith by Arthur Banks, Henry's youngest son.
- ↑ The National Archives. 1911 census for Hythe, Hampshire, England (RG14/5912), sched 18. Digital images on Ancestry.com.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Principal Probate Registry. Index to wills and administrations, 1858–1995. Digital images on Find a will, UK government website.
- ↑ Titheridge, Alan. Hythe Pier and Ferry: A History, p 82. Southampton, 1981.